Thursday 1 July 2010

Mongolia is Awesome: Names Edition


Before I came, I read in my guidebook that there are souvenir shops just about anywhere you look, selling t-shirts, tacky (probably Made-in-China) novelty items, and postcards. Of course, most people who know me know that I was on the lookout for postcards from just about when I touched down. But my first couple days, I was dismayed to see not a single postcard or souvenir shop in sight. It occurred to me that this was probably because I don’t exactly live in a touristy district. And having explored the centre of the city, I was confused as to where exactly the tourist district was.

 Then I noticed a particular street on the map: “Tourist St.” Oh. That’s right, the Mongolians have unabashedly named one of their streets “Juulchin Gudamj,” literally translated as “Tourist Street.” Well, they know how to tell it like it is…

2 comments:

  1. So, I can expect a postcard when?
    How different is naming a street "Tourist Street" than naming it "Wall Street" or "Broadway"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it struck me differently because whereas "Wall St" and "Broadway" describe objective physical attributes of the street, "Tourist St" defines the street by something that I generally think of as almost a hush-hush topic. That is, people don't like to be described as tourists, and areas don't like to be known as "tourist traps." I think it might just be in the States, but "tourist" tends to have a negative connotation, so when I see other countries embracing the idea of "tourists," (of course, this happened a lot in Egypt, too), it seems pretty blunt. And tourists even like to avoid the "touristy" areas and attractions, so Tourist St seems self-defeating. (Unless they are trying to keep us away... Hmmm... The General Intelligence Agency Museum is on Tourist St.)

    ReplyDelete